Be it April, May or June all days are dog days as far as Chennai is concerned. And in this scorching weather one can easily fall ill and that is the reason doctors keep stressing the need for fruits in the diet. Be it seasonal like watermelon or mango or an all timer like banana do include a fruit in your daily diet….
Fresh and dry fruits contain substantial quantities of essential nutrients in a rational proportion. They are excellent sources of minerals, vitamins and enzymes. They are easily digested and exercise a cleaning effect on the blood and the digestive tract. Fresh and dry fruits are not only good food but also a good medicine.
Fruits are a valuable source of anti-oxidants.
Also read: Here’s why you need oats every day
Fruits- the storehouse of good health
Taking of fruits or fruit juice is the most pleasant way of hydrating the organism. The water absorbed by sick persons in the form of fruit juice has an added advantage of supplying sugar, vitamins and minerals at the same time. The fibrous matter in fruits, cellulose, aid in the smooth passage of the food in the digestive tract and easy bowel action. Hence, regular use of fruits prevents and cures “constipation”.
Fruits furnish minerals to the body. Dried fruits such as apricots, raisins and dates are rich in calcium and iron. These minerals are essential for strong bones and good blood respectively.
All fruits promote intestinal elimination. This keeps the body free from toxic wastes, which creep into the blood from an overloaded, sluggish intestinal tract. The carbohydrates of fruits are chiefly in the form of sugar, dextrins and acids, which are easily digestible and are completely absorbed. Hence, they are very useful for sick and invalids for quick energy and heat.
Fruits, as dependable sources of vitamins, exert a tonic effect in the body. In case of sickness, it will be advisable to take fruits in the form of juices for its quick absorption.
Also read: Green vegetables for a better health
Curative properties of fruits:
Generally, fruits are highly beneficial in maintaining acid-alkaline balance in the body. They supply needed elements for the body’s own healing activity and cell regeneration. Certain fruits can combat specific ailments.
- Watermelons make the best kidney cleansers and it contains iron.
- Dried figs are especially useful in the case of constipation, as they are high in fibre
- Apples are good for both constipation and diarrhoea. At least two apples should be taken daily for proper evacuation of bowels.
- Tooth-decay can be prevented by regular consumption of apples as they possess a ‘mouth cleansing property’.
- Banana is highly beneficial in the treatment of ulcer, being bland smooth, easily digestible and slightly laxative. It neutralises the over-acidity of gastric juice and reduces irritation of the ulcer.
- Dates stimulate sluggish bowels. They should be immersed in water at night after making them into a fine syrup the next morning to secure laxative effect.
- Indian gooseberry (amla) is considered an effective remedy for heart disease. It tones up the functions of all the organs of the body.
- Orange juice is the ideal liquid food for fevers like typhoid, tuberculosis and measles. It gives energy increases urinary output and promotes body resistance against infections, thereby hastening recovery.
- Lemon can be good food remedy in case of digestive problems and rheumatism.
- Apple, date and mango have a direct action on the central nervous system.
Also read: The goodness of almonds-click here